Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Sister's Words of Wisdom and Faith

Ken and Roxanne Dancing At Greg's Wedding in 2011

Greetings to all who have followed along on this journey!  Some of you are heavily invested emotionally and others considerably less so.  Irrespective of your motivation or involvement, I believe this is ultimately a story of God’s love and faithfulness towards us, whom He has created.

As Ken’s sister, I watched this whole process develop somewhat remotely.  I was first told of his diagnosis years ago by our mom.  Most of his early trials and treatments were relayed to me by her as well.  I never thought much that there would be a time in the future when his disease could progress to the point of requiring a kidney transplant. Two years ago, at my son Jonathan’s wedding this became more real to me.  Even then, it still seemed to be a distant and future possibility.  But, life raced forward and by the end of 2010, it became a reality.
Upon finding out that he would indeed require a kidney transplant, my immediate reaction was that he could surely have one of mine.  Alan (my husband and a MD) explained to me that a match with a sibling was more probable than that with his offspring, as siblings are more likely to share similar genetic material.  I felt that I would be the one to match; and, I was totally at peace with that possibility.  I mentally prepared for a summer “kidney sharing” event since my schedule and obligations are eased somewhat then.  When I as well as my other siblings and his children were disqualified because of blood type incompatibilities, I was stunned; however, the God of heaven and earth most definitely was not.

The last 18 months or so have been an emotional and physical roller coaster ride for Ken, Pat, and their loved ones.  When the initial testing of Alex and others proved to be unfruitful, it seemed as if this might be a long and arduous journey indeed.  I enlisted friends and acquaintances to place Ken on their prayer lists.  Those prayers were answered when it was determined after repeat testing Alex was a great match and he unselfishly agreed to become a donor.  That got me to thinking…what are the chances that someone from Greenville, SC who is some 30 years younger would be a perfect kidney donor match for someone in New Orleans, LA?  And then, that very person would have been woven into the life of the one needing his precious kidney?  Amazing that Kelly would just so happen want to attend college at Clemson (don’t most kids from Louisiana want to party at LSU or at least somewhere closer than South Carolina??), and she would meet, date, move away from, reconnect with, and ultimately marry Mr. Perfect Tissue Match for her dad.  Or is it?  Some may think this is just a great coincidence.  To me, I see the fingerprints of God ALL over this.  Only He can orchestrate such a grand symphony.  

I have been doing a Beth Moore bible study of Daniel this summer.  When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego are thrown into the fiery furnace, Beth points out that there are 3 possible outcomes for each and every one of us when we are subjected to the fiery furnaces of this life.  God can deliver us from the fire completely which builds our faith.  He can deliver us through the fire which refines our faith.  Or, He can deliver us by the fire into His arms.  Ken seems to have been delivered through the fiery furnace and I pray that he, as was the case with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, will have “no smell of fire on him” (Daniel 3:28) and his faith and that of all who read this will be strengthened and refined.

To God be the glory!
Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment