Tuesday, August 14, 2012

In case you missed it...our TV debut!!

Click on link to watch the video:  

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Updated today at 5:54 PM
Sally-Ann Roberts / Eyewitness News
Email: sroberts@wwltv.com |

METAIRIE, La. – Sixty-two-year-old Ken Roig has had the same routine for the past year.

After a full day’s work, he returns to his Metairie home where his wife Pat hooks him up to a dialysis machine.

While waiting for a kidney transplant, he spends 11 ½ hours a night, every night, on dialysis.

“There is that moment of despair,” he said. “God, I’m going to be doing this for the rest of my life. That’s the first thing that hit my mind. How long can I do this?”

Fortunately, he won’t have to handle that much longer because he has found a hero – Alex McLean.

Although separated by distance (Alex, a CPA, lives in South Carolina), theirs is a close relationship. Next month Alex will donate one of his kidneys to his father-in-law.

“It’s rare that somebody is provided an opportunity to totally change someone’s life,” he said.

Ken and Pat remember the moment Alex called with the news.
 
“They’re talking and all of a sudden he says, ‘Oh, by the way, I’m a match and we’re going to have a kidney transplant,’” recalled Pat. “We couldn’t even talk. I mean, we were crying.”

Ken believes it was divine intervention since no one in the family matched his blood type, but Alex, who married their daughter Kelly two years ago is a perfect match. Ken was moved beyond words.

“I think we have been very blessed to have Alex come into my life,” he said.

The next time Alex and Ken are together will be Sept. 10, when son-in-law will give his father-in-law the gift of life.

To follow their journey as Ken prepares for the transplant at Ochsner Hospital, visit their web site akidneyforken.blogspot.com.

You can also get more information on becoming a donor on our Perfect Match page, supporting Robin and Sally-Ann Roberts.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ken! Saw the story last night and am super excited for you! Great news! I'll be praying for you guys on September 10th. Awesome job by your son-in-law. I know how blessed that makes you feel. Take care and I look forward to seeing you soon!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys Angelle just sent me the good news I am so happy for you! I read the story at 11:30 pm the other night and was so excited I actually woke Chris up to tell him! We will keep you in our prayers for the next part of your journey!

    ReplyDelete