Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Greatest Gift

Hi All,

My name is Ken … that’s right, the Ken of this blog “A Kidney for Ken”. First of all, I would like to personally thank each one of you for caring enough about me, my family, and this cause to spend time every week reading our blog.  Today I wanted to share some amazing news with you. After several months of extensive testing, my son-in-law is officially a match. I have found a kidney! We are scheduling the transplant surgery for late August. As you can imagine, I’m still in shock, but so grateful to my son-in-law for this gift of life.  His selfless love continues to blow me away, and he will always have a special place in my heart. For so many years battling this disease, I found myself asking "Why me? Why am I so unlucky?" Today I ask myself "Why am I so lucky?" I can't answer that one exactly, but know that my faith in God, and the unconditional love from family and friends like you have gotten me to this point. And so it is only right that I share this wonderful news with all of you today.

I would be remiss if I didn't recognize a number of special people in my life starting with my better half… my wife of almost 40 years.  Pat has been my angel in caring for me while I’ve been on dialysis for the last year.  I can’t imagine surviving this past year without her selfless love, commitment, and encouragement.  She has been my “ROCK” and I love her very much.   Next are my 3 wonderful children.  In fact, my son and daughter-in-law were instrumental in creating this blog.  They along with my wife have been committed to getting the message out for my need of a kidney.  Their efforts have been remarkable. I also want to thank my son for the beautiful words he wrote about me on this blog, very touching and heart warming.  My two daughters have also been so supportive.  My oldest daughter has three wonderful daughters…my precious granddaughters.  Next to my own children they are the pride and joy of my life and are one of the reasons I have been so steadfast in finding a kidney.  I look forward to sharing my time with them for many years to come.  My oldest daughter has been caring and loving during my journey and she is always there to lend her support and love.  I want to thank her husband as well who was willing to get tested as a potential donor too.  His willingness to do that was very touching and appreciated.  My youngest daughter also holds such a special place in my heart. Although she lives out of town, her concern and love has been unwavering during the past year.  And of course, her husband, my kidney donor, who has decided to give me the greatest gift of all, the gift of life. He is truly an inspiring and remarkable man.

Through this blog, we have asked you to follow our journey to find a kidney for me. Today a new journey begins. And I invite and ask all of you to keep following along. We will be documenting the entire kidney transplant process on this blog starting now up to the surgery and through my recovery. It is time for me to “pay it forward," and help educate and support the many families out there in our situation. We will continue to be advocates for kidney disease patients, and through our own experiences over the next several months share our stories of hope and faith.

Again I can only say thank you.  Your love and support means everything to me.  As I continue my journey, I thank God for my son-in-law and this wonderful gift he has given me.  God bless all of you and continue to keep me in your prayers as I will keep you in my prayers.

Until next time, may the Lord carry us on our journey,
Ken

4 comments:

  1. How awesome!!! Love and hugs to all of you!
    Love,
    Noelle (Ory) Lorentsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! Our prayers are always with you.
    Love,
    Linda & Mike Coney

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful news!!!!Eric & I will continue to pray for you and your family and also add your son in law to the church prayer list as you both go through this surgery.
    Love Carolyn & Eric Fredricks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ecstatic about your transplant news!! You, Pat and your family have been wonderful exemplars of Faith, love, generosity, patience and optimism. May you continue to be richly blessed. Our love and prayers continue for you all.
    Emily and Bruce Nolan

    ReplyDelete