Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Selfless Act By A Wonderful Man


Since Ken was our blogger last week and announced our most amazing news, this week I wanted to share my feelings with all of you who have been walking with us on this journey.
When Alex first told us he was going to be tested as a potential donor, I was shocked.  This young man was willing to give his kidney to his father-in-law. During the testing process, the staff at Ochsner Hospital said this was the first son-in-law to donate a kidney to his father-in-law. This just begins to show the magnitude of this selfless act of love. Alex was tested from his head all the way to his toes, and some tests done twice. He completed the testing during a few trips back and forth to New Orleans over the course of a few months. There were some problems during the process and I, the perpetual worrier, started to WORRY!!!!!! I was always worried about Ken, but now I was worried about Alex.  I wanted the very best for Ken, and I would move mountains to help him lead a full life again, but I am also a mother. I felt like this was too much of a burden for Alex and Kelly to carry. I thought I could see worry in their eyes too. Ken and I realized we had to become more proactive in the search for kidney transplant options. We contacted University of Alabama-Birmingham Kidney Center to find out information on its Paired Kidney Exchange Program.  We found information on research programs that are trying to grow kidneys for patients on the transplant list.  And finally Greg and Camille talked to us about starting a blog.  Seeing the outpouring of love from all of you following the blog, we were reinvigorated with hope and more determined than ever to find Ken a kidney. And then, we got that AMAZING phone call from Alex and Kelly informing us that Alex was a match.

I am so happy for Ken, but of course nervous and anxious.  I am so thankful to Alex and Kelly, but also nervous and anxious for them.  This is where I rely on my faith. I have to give these worries to the Lord.  As one of Ken’s sisters so beautifully reminded us, Kelly chose to go to a school in Clemson, SC – neither Ken nor I knew anything about Clemson.  She met a young man her senior year named Alex and they fell in love. They got married a few years later. And now he is giving his kidney to her father, Ken.  Just a coincidence? I don’t think so, that is a divine plan. 

I also wanted to say a special thank you to Alex’s parents, Ginger and Sandy. You raised a wonderful young man.  I know how proud you are of him.  I will always remember talking to Ginger and expressing my worries and fears. I told her I did not want Alex to do this and she told me what her minister said. “How many people get the opportunity to give the gift of life to someone in their lifetime?” The Roig family is so incredibly blessed to have Alex and his family in our lives.

Lastly, I wanted to thank everyone for their messages of joy and hope after hearing the news last week. It was our dream that one day Ken would be writing that blog and thanks to Alex that dream has come true.  We are very excited to document the process ahead in many interactive ways and have you all be a part of it. We consider you all members of our family and we will go through this together. As always, thank you for your continued support and love.

Until next time, may the Lord carry us on our journey,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment